Australian Song of the Year finalists announced
The votes are in for Australia's Song of the Year and of the 30 finalists, the judges may find it hard to go past Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used To Know'.
Gotye has two songs in the list and is certain to win the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) award for Most Played Australian Work Overseas, if not for Most Played Australian Work.
His duet partner Kimbra also has a song in the running, as do the winners of this year's Australian Music Prize, The Jezabels.
APRA says the contenders come from a wide field, from country to pop, through rock, rap and even gospel, with the inclusion of a number performed by Hillsong.
Age doesn't appear to be a drawback for consideration either with judges selecting 60-year-old Don Walker as a finalist for All For You, a new recording from Aussie rock legends Cold Chisel.
The 2012 APRA Music Awards will be held in Sydney on May 28.
Finalists for the APRA Song of the Year 2012:
- $pend My Money 2011 (Writers: Stuart Tyson/Amanda Leadbitter). Performed by Bass Kleph
- (Oh Well) That's What You Get (Falling in Love With a Cowboy (Writer: Lanie Lane). Performed by Lanie Lane
- Act Your Age (Writers: Alexander Burnett/ Jeremy Craib/James Cibej/Jacob Stone/Stavros Yiannoukas/James Hauptmann). Performed by bluejuice
- All For You (Writer: Don Walker). Performed by Cold Chisel
- Always a Winner (Writers: Pete Murray/Tom Rothrock). Performed by Pete Murray
- Awkward (Writers: Jordi Davieson/Joshua Biondillo/Nick Gardner/Scarlett Stevens/ Steven Schram). Performed by San Cisco
- Bad Machines (Writer: Shane Nicholson). Performed by Shane Nicholson
- Beautiful Mess (Writer: Kasey Chambers). Performed by Kasey Chambers
- Boys Like You (Writers: Kaelyn Behr/Matthew Colwell/Bradford Pinto/Jack Revens/Francis Jones). Performed by 360 featuring Gossling
- Brother (Writer: Matt Corby). Performed by Matt Corby
- Cameo Lover (Writers: Kimbra Johnson). Performed by Kimbra
- Country Is (Writers: Troy Cassar-Daley/Colin Buchanan). Performed by Troy Cassar-Daley
- Design Desire (Writer: Abbe May). Performed by Abbe May
- Don't Worry Be Happy (Writer: Guy Sebastian). Performed by Guy Sebastian
- Dun Proppa (Writers: Paul Westgate/Pablo Chiacchio/Simon Bottle/Thomas Dent/Frederick Dayoan/ David Atkins/Andrew Garvie). Performed by Def Wish Cast
- Endless Summer (Writers: Nicholas Kaloper/Samuel Lockwood/Hayley McGlone/Heather Shannon). Performed by The Jezabels
- Feeding Line (Writers: David Hosking/Jacob Tarasenko/Killian Gavin/Timothy Hart/Jonathon Hart). Performed by Boy & Bear
- Holy Moses (Writers: Megan Washington/Jarrad Kritzstein). Performed by Washington
- I Feel Better (Writer: Wally de Backer). Performed by Gotye
- I Love It (Writers: Sia Furler/Barry Francis/Matthew Lambert/Daniel Smith). Performed by Hilltop Hoods featuring Sia
- It Is Well With My Soul (Writers: Benjamin Fielding/Reuben Morgan). Performed by Hillsong Live
- Jungle (Writer: Emma Louise). Performed by Emma Louise
- Love Is a Drug (Writers: Stuart Macleod/Joel Quartermain/Kav Temperley). Performed by Eskimo Joe
- Reptile (Writers: Haydn Ing/James Ing/Adam Montgomery/Tom Larkin). Performed by Calling All Cars
- She's Like a Comet (Writers: Christopher Daymond/Brett Mitchell/Kevin Mitchell/Vanessa Thornton). Performed by Jebediah
- Somebody That I Used To Know (Writers: Wally de Backer/Luiz Bonfa). Performed by Gotye featuring Kimbra
- The Ending is Just the Beginning Repeating (Writers: Chris Cheney/Craig Finn). Performed by The Living End
- Turn Me On (Writers: Patience Hodgson/John Patterson). Performed by The Grates
- You Should Consider Having Sex With a Bearded Man (Writer: Joel McMillan). Performed by The Beards
- Zoom (Writers: Sean Caskey/Lachlan Caskey/Samuel Gethin-Jones/Dan Koyama). Performed by Last Dinosaurs